Thursday, December 21, 2023

VIDEO STREAMING: DO YOU ROKU?

 Originally posted April 2016

and updated December 2023. 


VIDEO STREAMING: DO YOU ROKU?



Yes I do. I started with a Roku SE for about 4 months. Then I graduated to Roku TV about 2 months ago. If I lost you, Roku is one of several video streaming options that use propriatory devices and your router. 




These wireless devices connect to your home network to stream video over the internet. Some are set top boxes and others are USB dongle style. The initial investment and ongoing fees vary.



I chose Roku for the thousands of free channels and the ability to use my old TV. The SE was the only one I could find that had RCA jacks. All of the other devices required newer TVs with HDMI or USB connections.


You don't get premium content for free. Some of the latest blockbusters can be rented or purchased. Some channels are subscriptions based. 


My only premium channel is Hulu TV. I routinely swap subscriptions. Pausing one to try another with an introductory rate. I have found most services will keep your account and user profiles on their server for a few months.  




Many of your favorite TV channels have Roku apps. Some channels require a paid cable provider to unluck full functionality. For example, some offer multiple tiers or more content with cable credentials. 



Everyone in your home is sure to find a favorite. There are free and paid options for all interests. Some channels are actual interactive games or add more uses like screen casting or signage to your TV.





Obviously, streaming requires a stable internet connection. I recommended an unlimited data service and 5 mbs per stream. This allows for general internet usage at the same time. 


www.roku.com


No comments:

Post a Comment